The Mikveh Monologues is a stage play based on stories collected from visitors to Mayyim Hayyim.
It was written by acclaimed author and Mayyim Hayyim founder Anita Diamant and Mikveh Monologues director Janet Buchwald, with musical direction by Josh Neslon. The show has been a successful fundraiser and community builder in the Boston area.
Presented as a “staged reading,” with actors reading from scripts, this is a relatively easy-to-produce show that demonstrates rather than explains the impact of ritual immersion in the life of very different kinds of people: from a Bat Mitzvah girl to a bride to a breast cancer survivor. It also includes conversion stories and reflections from fathers and rabbis.
Past Mikveh Monologues performances include:
- Temple Israel, Long Beach, CA, 2017
- Jewish Repertory Theatre of Nevada, 2015
- Congregation Shomrei Torah, Santa Rosa, CA, 2013
- London, Ontario, 2010
- Los Gatos JCC and Community Mikveh: Los Gatos, CA, 2009
- The Covenant Foundation Project Directors Gathering: Floram Park, NJ, 2009
- Union for Reform Judaism Biennial: San Diego, 2007
- First International Mikveh Conference: Boston, 2006
- Women Cantors Conference: Boston, 2006
Bring the Mikveh Monologues to your community
This play is both a proven fundraiser and a powerful introduction to the potential of mikveh. In the Boston area, Mayyim Hayyim has raised more than $150,000 at performances of The Mikveh Monologues through ticket sales, ad book revenue and sponsorships.
Mayyim Hayyim will, for a fee, provide a copy of the script with production notes, casting information, and musical directions.
Upon request, Mayyim Hayyim can also provide a detailed packet to assist your marketing Mikveh Monologues as a fundraiser and / or community education program.
Contact us learn more about the costs and benefits of these options, including inviting Anita Diamant to speak at or before the performance.
Options for mounting the show
1) Produce the play with Mayyim Hayyim’s director and cast
Purchase the rights to perform the script. Work with director, Janet Buchwald, and a cast of well-rehearsed actors and musicians.
2) Produce the play with Mayyim Hayyim’s director and your local cast
Purchase the rights to perform the script. Work with director, Janet Buchwald who will audition and rehearse local cast members by phone and then on site before the performance.
3) Produce the play with your own director and cast
Purchase the rights to perform the script, which will be sent with production notes and sheet music, along with the script.